Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Worst Films of the Year

So, if I can make a list of the best films of 2013, surely I can also make a list of the worst films of the year...


"The Wind Rises", or as I like to call it, "The Wind Blows" by the Japanese Master, Hayao Miyazaki.  A sugary, melodramatic story about a kid who later designed the Japanese WWII fighter "The Zero".

"The Great Beauty" - an art film for elitist snobs.  No real story and a bunch of intellectual platitudes.

"Inside Llewyn Davis" - and I LOVE the Coen brothers.  This film had some great side characters, but the lead is the most uncharasmatic character ever in a Coen brothers film.  And what's with the cat?

"The Unknown Known", by Errol Morris.  An interview with Bush's Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld.  Instead of asking him questions about how the Iraq war started, he shows images of water, spiffy graphics and talks about his marriage.

"Under the Skin", starring a sexy Scarlett Johansson.  The director, Jonathan Glazer, also made the wonderful "Sexy Beast", but this is a bomb.  I saw it at Telluride and it will never get distribution in the U.S., because it's so boring.

"The Congress" by Ari Folman ("Waltz With Bashir"), written by Stanislaw Lem.  Made no sense to me at all.  Maybe if I were stoned it would have been better.

--Bill

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you on the Coen and Miyazaki films. The first one never went anywhere and the second one put me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete