Monday, November 23, 2020

Virus news + Animation News

As I was watching the news recently, I heard about something called "coronavirus fatigue".  Apparently, Americans are tired of staying in their homes, not partying, not going out to restaurants, always wearing a mask and such.  They feel they need to get out and be free, after all, this is America - and what about personal liberty? 

Then, I was reminded about the book by Tom Brokaw, called "The Greatest Generation".  My parents, who were part of this generation, lived through the travails of the Great Depression, 25% unemployment, massive homelessness, and a terrible standard of living.  And then along came World War II - which meant food and gas rationing, forced migration, terrible deaths, and wounding of civilians.  Plus there was the constant fear that the Axis powers would conquer Europe and maybe even invade America.  People fought back when they ran paper drives and scrap metal drives, practiced blackout drills, and women took over shifts in factories and manufacturing plants while men were off fighting in the war. 

And the Greatest Generation survived.  I never heard anything about "Depression fatigue" or "War fatigue", they battled on, they did what they had to do, they were American tough.  And what do we have today?  A bunch of babies whining about being forced to wear masks. 

Where's our "Greatest Generation"?  What are we, a bunch of wimps?  Come on, America, show the world that we can be tough, too.  Our collective enemy is just an invisible virus, instead of a couple European dictators, but the fight is similar, it's just going to take everybody pitching in and doing their part. I rarely talk about politics here, but this is something that's been bugging me, and we all have the power to do something about it.

On another front, I have some very exciting news for animation fans, but unfortunately, I can't disclose it at the moment.  But I swear, after Thanksgiving, I'll have a terrific announcement to make.  So please check out this space in about 9 days.  Stay tuned!

In the meantime, here's this week's gag cartoon.  

--Bill P.

No comments:

Post a Comment