Monday, October 29, 2018

Recent Trips - Santa Fe, NM and Portland, OR

I've started to cut back a little on my trips on the film festival circuit these days, I got invited to two very appetizing festivals that took place last week.

The first was the Santa Fe Independent Film Festival.  I'd never been to New Mexico before, so I thought it would be interesting.  The place is 7,000 feet into the mountains, and it has a very classic look to it.  All the buildings must be made from adobe or at least look like it.  And all the shop signs must have only two colors (no rainbows allowed, and obviously no Taco Bells) The festival is run by a young family with lots of energy, and they took very good care of me.

The cinemas were all cool, classic-type theaters and there were lots of volunteers offering to do anything I needed - and the Hotel Santa Fe was perfect - very comfortable.  Then at the big ceremonies I was given a Lifetime Achievement Award that included a freshly-baked peach pie in a ceremonial pie tin.



While I was there, I was able to visit Los Alamos, where the atomic bomb was developed.  I toured the scientists' houses and learned the history of the bomb, I found that fascinating.

Next, I flew to Oregon for the Portland Film Festival.  This festival has now taken over a huge canning warehouse that's been converted into a headquarters, lounge and multiplex.  I saw a fascinating film called "Behind the Curve" about people who believe that the earth is flat, and that the theory of a round earth is a conspiracy from the dark state.  The group is actually quite large, over 1,000 members, and very serious.

The PDXFF is a lively festival with lots of energy and ideas, created by Joshua Leake.  I highly recommend both of these festivals if you want a great experience watching work that is totally off the mainstream.

As soon as I returned from my trip, I joined my fellow Academy members for a two-day judging of all the animated short films that are eligible for the Oscars.  It was fun to see all my fellow members and watch this year's crop of the best animated shorts.  I also entered my very short film "Trump Bites: The Unraveling" so we'll find out in January if people like that. 

Dinner after judging Oscar-eligible animation, with Lisa LaBracio, Biljana Labovic, Pat Smith, Sandrine and Ron Diamond
Also, speaking of the atomic bomb, I've done some graphics for a new Off-Broadway called "Nuclear Follies", directed by one of my favorite voice actors, Daniel Neiden.  He provided the voice of the main character, Del, in my first animated feature, "The Tune".  I haven't seen "Nuclear Follies" yet, but I know Daniel is a very funny fellow, so it should be hilarious.  You may even see some art in the show that looks a little bit "Plympton-esque". 


That show opens on Thursday, November 1 at 7 pm at St. John's Lutheran Church, 81 Christopher St. (west of 7th Ave.)  You can check out more information about the show here:

http://nuclearfollies.com/

and you can buy tickets here:

https://nuclearfollies.brownpapertickets.com/

I also heard that tickets to the November 6 performance will be FREE if you vote.  Which you should do anyway, so, really, there's no reason NOT to vote and then enjoy a great night at the theater!  I hope to see you there.  If you like your comedy dark, then that's the place to be.

Happy Halloween, everyone - and here's my cartoon of the week.

--Bill P.



No comments:

Post a Comment