Monday, September 9, 2013

Gravity


One of the most anticipated films at the Telluride Festival was Alphonso Cuaran's "Gravity".  The greatly-buzzed-about space feature starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock did not disappoint.

Roughly, the plot is about two astronauts who are caught in space during a debris storm, which is caused by a Russian space explosion - and it concerns how they survive in such a dangerous climate.

There are a lot of special effects.  In fact, it seemed to me that 90% of the film was computer generated.  Yet, the story is very emotional.  I spent the entire movie on the proverbial edge of my seat.  It's a horror film without any monsters or zombies.  Poor Sandra goes from one seriously deadly situation to the next, and it's relentless.

But what really amazed me about the film was the originality of the story.  There is no subtext or larger issue that is covered in this film other than pure survival.  But believe me, that's enough.

I recommend that everyone go see this fantastic film.  I give it an "A".

Bill Plympton


1 comment:

  1. Unless that was a joke I failed to comprehend, I must point out your first screenshot is from Soderbergh's SOLARIS (2002), not Gravity.

    ReplyDelete