Wednesday, December 14, 2016

"Trolls"


One of the animated features that qualified for the Best Animated Feature Oscar this year is "Trolls", directed by Mike Mitchell and Walt Dohrn.  Unfortunately, most of the reviews that I read really panned the film.

And I understand why, because the film is very sugary and sentimental, with lots of bright colors, and the design of the trolls is very cutesy and clunky, with large hands and feet.

Yet, the film had very good humor and witty dialogue, and I liked the music.

Strangely, the film reminded me a lot of "Yellow Submarine", the 1968 Beatles film.  In fact, I felt like I was in a drug-induced flashback. It's like a magic carpet ride back to the 1960's - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if large groups of hipsters decide to drop a lot of acid and then go to see "Trolls".

In fact, if you go see the film in a NYC theater, you may see me sitting in the audience with my eyes a mile wide - just leave me alone and let me trip out on the amazing visual surrealism and music.

I give "Trolls" a B+

Bill P.

No comments:

Post a Comment