Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ken Reid Insanity..

I just recently learned about the work of British Cartoonist (or comic artist) Ken Reid. Another artist I'm ashamed that I didn't know of earlier. Another find from Lines and Colors, Charlie you rock.


Ken Reid is probably best known for his later series of comically horror-themed posters called World Wide Weirdies that ran in a publication called Whoopee!. These were often intricately detailed (the small reproductions here don’t do them justice) and wonderfully grotesque; as well as frequently quite funny. They were based on puns or other naming suggestions submitted by readers. Reid drew them in a circular frame surrounded by smaller drawings of oddball characters, of which there were at least two sets.

There is an extensive Flicker set of Reid’s World Wide Weirdies, as well as other articles and mentions that I’ll try to list below. (From Charlie Parker).




1 comment:

  1. I don't remember these at all. My memories of Reid's work are all about his comics, particularly Faceache and Frankie Stein. Reid was a dream come true for an eight year old boy who wanted to be scared and laugh at the same time. I'm sure there are examples around the internet and they're well worth looking up.

    ReplyDelete