Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Guadalajara



In high school, I had a choice of studying Spanish or French – I figured I'd never go to France, it's too far away. Besides, there are so many Mexicans and Latin Americans in Portland; I should learn the second language of the city.

Well, little did I know that my films would be extremely popular in France, I'd travel there 3 times a year, and now I'm trying to learn French.

But recently, I've found a new popularity in Latin America – Argentina, Chile, and Mexico.

I've just returned from a very successful appearance at the Guadalajara International Film Festival, which is the largest film festival in Mexico.

And since two weeks before I was in Brussels speaking French, and a week later I was attempting to learn Italian in Milano, I had a difficult time speaking my 40 year old Spanish. My beloved Spanish teacher Martha Sumption would have given me an F for my poor language skills.

Nevertheless, I had a great time. My tour guide, the charming Alejandra, took very good care of me. We had super food – and I'm not particularly fond of Mexican food – then spent the afternoon in picturesque Tlaquepaqu.

No comments:

Post a Comment