Friday, April 5, 2019

The Webbies

They're back again, and I can't get rid of them - the BOTS!

I just learned that my "Trump Bites" series has been nominated for a Webby Award - and these days, since the internet seems to be where most people get their news and entertainment, that's pretty important.  So my thanks to the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.



By the way, I think it's very cool to be nominated - I can add it to my list of awards, like my Cannes Jury Prize, two Oscar nominations, Emmy nomination and Pulitzer Prize nomination - Wow, that's like the Full Monty.

In fact, "Trump Bites" is nominated for TWO Webby Awards, because it's nominated in the category of Video: Video Series & Channels: Animation, and also there is a Webby People's Voice Award, selected by the voting public.  Winning either one is a mark of internet excellence, and would also allow me to attend the star-studded awards gala, held on May 13 in NYC.  So I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the voting - the winners will be announced on April 23.

If you want to take part in the voting, and I encourage you to support my battle against Trump, please vote for my series "Trump Bites" (co-produced with 110th Street Films), by going to:

vote.webbyawards.com

Voting is open until Thursday, April 18 at 11:59 pm. So please vote for "Trump Bites" in the category of Video: Animation wbby.co/vote-vid49

However, there's a serious downside - to represent the series on their site, the Webby Awards chose a still of Trump on a date with Putin.  As you may know, when that "Trump Bites" short originally played on the New York Times site, this activist started a campaign to smear my name and call me out as an alleged homophobe.  Naturally, all the Trump fans and Russian Bots all piled on with hundreds of threatening e-mails and messages -

Of course, now it's happened again.  Apparently the activist is back and now his re-tweet of our tweet is getting hundreds of hate messages in response.  And some of them have bad language and syntax mistakes, so it's obvious that a lot of them come from fake accounts overseas.  Or maybe just high-school kids.






In a way, it's kind of thrilling - to have a lot of responses, positive OR negative, is always the goal of a political cartoonist.  When I did my political cartoon strip in the 1970's and 80's, I'd be lucky to get one comment a week.  So to have this kind of response, even if most of it is negative, is such a compliment to my artwork.

So, if you want to support my battle against Trump and the Bots, please register to vote for the Webby Awards, and also the 2020 election, while you're at it.

Thanks,

Bill P.

No comments:

Post a Comment