Monday, March 11, 2019

What's Happening

As you may know, I'm now in the middle of creating my ninth animated feature, titled "Slide".  As usual, I ran out of money last fall - and I was freaking out because I was afraid this time I'd be forced to give up my studio.  Fortunately, the animation gods came through and I got the "Trump Bites" job, and then shortly after that, I got a big commission design job (because of all the lawyers I'm unable to discuss the details yet).  So, thankfully I'm now able to pay off my mountain of bills.

Now that the bills are almost paid off, I'm about to get back to work on "Slide".  It's a simple story about a good man (a slide-guitar musician) who drifts into a corrupt lumberjack town in the Northwest, run by two obese brothers.  The charm of the film, for me, is the use of Hank Williams/Patsy Cline-like music.  "Slide" is going to be like one long country & western music video - Oh my God, I'm in heaven!

So far, I've animated about 20 minutes of the beginning of the film, and I have to tell you, it looks fantastic.  All the art is being created using a normal ballpoint pen.  I love ballpoints, they look great - also, if I make a mistake, it can't be corrected.  And I love to see drawing imperfections.  That makes it look like it was created by a human and not a machine.  In fact, the key word I'm using for guidance in this film is "Bent" - you're going to see a lot of distortion and bending reality in "Slide". So buckle your seat-belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Occasionally I'll be releasing images and storyboards here on Scribble Junkies, just to keep you updated on the film's progress.  Meanwhile, it's back to the drawing board for me - here's a new Trump drawing and a piece of art from "Slide".  I hope you like it!

--Bill P.





No comments:

Post a Comment