Monday, June 21, 2010

Toy Story 3


The folks at Pixar are brilliant and Toy Story 3 proves it! What an amazing film. It certainly doesn't have the visual style and punch of “How to Train Your Dragon” by Dreamworks, but it has some of the best storytelling I've ever seen.
One of the things I like about a Frank Copra film is how he's able to bring in numerous characters and each one is detailed and fascinating. Look at “It's a Wonderful Life.” There must be 10 or 15 secondary characters and they're as memorable and important as the lead actors. How does he do that? What's his secret? Well, “Toy Story 3” has some of that same magic. All the minor characters have a very complex puzzle where all the little pieces fit together perfectly. And only because they fit so perfectly does the whole picture have such a powerful impact. Some of my favorites are Ken and Barbie, the crazed monkey guard, the teddy bear ringleader, and the disturbed, abused baby doll.
By now the film has been released and is making billions of dollars. But its the first time that a threequel has surpassed the previous films. Of course its a great film for other reasons: the music, the look, the acting. So tell your friends to go out and see “Toy Story 3.” You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. That baby doll gave me the heebies every time he was on screen, and I don't think I've been as freaked out by a simian since I first saw the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz when I was six or seven.

    ReplyDelete