Friday, December 9, 2022

Guillermo Del Toro's "Pinocchio" and Animation School UPDATE

Hello, everyone - 

I've been very tardy in my correspondence and my blog posting, and I apologize.  I'm working very long hours because I'm trying to finish my new animated feature, "Slide". 

However, I was able to sneak away a few nights ago to see a screening of Guillermo Del Toro's new "Pinocchio" film (I get all these e-mails about the Academy screenings taking place around town, but I've asked my office manager to only tell me about the animated films - I just don't have time for any live-action films right now). The screening I saw was at the Crosby Street Hotel, but Guillermo came to town and made a bunch of appearances all over, like MOMA and the SVA Theater.  I got wait-listed for a couple screenings, it took a few tries for me to get lucky!  

There was a wonderful Q&A session after the screening with (among others) co-director Mark Gustafson and Guillermo.  And then after that there was a reception, where I got to chat with my old buddies.  We talked about this wonderful version of "Pinocchio" - and it's a terrific film!  It's much more powerful and touching than the earlier Disney version, I found myself almost crying.  And visually, the film is stunning - it's puppet animation, which is something Mark has been doing for years with Laika (formerly Will Vinton Studios) and for "The Fantastic Mr. Fox".  When I got to talk with Guillermo, he's such a friendly guy, he talked to me like we grew up together.  I predict great things for his "Pinocchio" - and if you can't get to a screening where the directors are appearing, the film's going to be on Netflix later this week!  


As most of you know, I've decided to hold a Master Animation class at the beginning of 2023 - it will be eight 90-minute sessions, one per week.  I'll talk about everything creative involved in the making of an animated short or feature.  Originally the price was $1,600 - but now I feel that I was asking too much.  So, I'm now lowering the price to $1,000 for 8 sessions.  It's going to be a great class, where else can you learn from the King of Indie Animation, someone who's made 9 animated features, almost 50 shorts, won the Prix du Jury at Cannes and has two Oscar nominations?  

So, please tell your friends about this great deal - thanks for your support!

--Bill P.

No comments:

Post a Comment