Monday, September 17, 2018

Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival

Once again, I helped program the Animated Shorts for Richard Paradise and his Martha's Vineyard Film Festival. It's a lovely festival that takes place every September in a lovely town called Vineyard Haven.

But this year, we had a special guest - my Scribble Junkies blog partner, the amazing Patrick Smith.  The cool thing was that we got to drive up there in Pat's truck, with both of our families along for the ride.  It was quite an adventurous trip, through 4 states and on 5 ferries.  During that long trip, all we talked about was animation and other animators.

Unfortunately, the weather really sucked, it was cold and cloudy - though we still spent a lot of time on the beach.  One day, we took a side-trip to Oak Bluffs, where we saw an amazing religious retreat and all these incredible gingerbread houses.  I felt like I was in a Disney film, or stoned, or both.  Then we visited the harbor, where we had the absolute best lobster roll - too bad I can't remember the name of the bar. 

The screening of the animated shorts program was a big success.  A good crowd was there, ready to laugh - and the line-up was a big hit.  The most popular films were "Hybrids" - a computer film where garbage takes over the ocean, "Enough" by Anna Mantzaris - a very deadpan look at people who won't take it any more, "Catharina" - a dark comedy by Britt Raes about a girl whose pets keep dying, "Pour 585" by Pat Smith - a timely film about power and how to control it, and "Negative Space" by Ru Kuwahata and Max Porter. 

So, even though the weather sucked, the MVIFF event always keeps us joyful and fulfilled. 

In other news, it looks like I'l be premiering my brand new "Trump Bites" short at the Downtown Independent Theater in L.A. next week, in order to qualify it for the Oscars.  I believe it's my best "Trump Bites" short ever.  If you're in the L.A. area, check it out, this one is called "The Unraveling", and it's co-written by Donald himself.  Watch my Twitter and Facebook feeds for more info on this, to be posted soon. 

Thanks for reading my Scribbles! 

Bill P.



No comments:

Post a Comment