Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Worldfest Houston and Nashville Film Festival

Back in the nineties, I used to go to Charleston, S.C. quite regularly for the Charleston Worldfest - I fell in love with that town, the southern charm, the great food, the picturesque harbor and the fantastic beaches.

The director of that festival was a charming man named Hunter Todd.  But for various reasons, he moved the festival to Houston, Texas.  I think there was more financial support there.

Fast-forward to 2016, and I was appearing at the Gijon Festival in northern Spain (another of my favorite festivals) and it so happened that Hunter's wife, Kathleen, was a juror there - so we had a wonderful reunion dinner and Hunter invited me to his festival in Houston.

So, just last week I took a JetBlue to Houston for the Texas premiere of "Revengeance".  (I stayed at the Marriott Hotel that just happened to serve the best pancake breakfast I ever had.)  The film was playing in three festivals last week, in addition to Worldfest it opened at the Nashville Film Festival and the USA Film Festival in Dallas.  Worldfest Houston was, I think, the third screening in the U.S. and as I introduced the film to the audience, Hunter appeared and presented me with a Grand Jury prize for the film, which is very prestigious.  And then Kathleen presented me with the Career Achievement Trophy - Wow! What a bounty of honors! 


Not only that, but as soon as I returned to New York, I got word that "Revengeance" had won the Grand Jury Prize in the Nashville Film Festival's Animated Feature Competition - and that comes with a $1,000 cash prize!  Wow, what a weekend, three prizes in two days! 


I think festivals (and audiences) are really starting to dig "Revengeance".  I believe that the film, which is crudely underground, is beginning to resonate with people.  The long applause and standing ovationss are proof that the movie is something very special - we're now talking to distributors about a U.S. release - so watch this space for an announcement.

Thanks to the festivals for screening "Revengeance" and thanks to you all -

Bill Plympton

No comments:

Post a Comment