Monday, April 21, 2014

Mr. Peabody & Sherman

I just returned from the wonderful Florida Film Festival, where I showed "Cheatin'", and one afternoon when I had a few spare hours, I decided to catch up on my film screenings.  "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" was playing at the local multiplex, and I felt compelled to see it.


Of course, like most people of my generation, I loved the "Rocky & Bullwinkle Show", which the Mr. Peabody cartoons were a part of.  So I was curious to see how Dreamworks was able to expand that show into an animated feature. 

As I walked into the cinema, I saw I was the only one in the theater.  That alone kind of reflects the failure of this film to connect with the audience.  This meant I could talk on my phone or smoke a joint, and no one would complain - but of course, I'd never do that.


The film was directed by Rob Minkoff, and I thought that it was pretty successful  - it's got great visuals (computer animation, of course).  The only problem for me was that the film seemed more concerned with including as many historical figures and events as it could fit into 90 minutes, and less concerned with story and relationships.   I would have preferred fewer famous characters and more personality development.


I give this film a "B".

--Bill Plympton

No comments:

Post a Comment