Monday, October 28, 2013

The Sitges Fantasy Festival

It's interesting that within the last decade there's been an explosion of "fantasy" film festivals.  There's one in Paris, one in Canada, one in Austin, TX - but to me the granddaddy is in Sitges, Spain.  Its official name is Sitges Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantastic de Catalunya, and it's located in a beautiful seaside village, just south of Barcelona.


I've been attending this festival for a number of years - they have great international guests, like Guillermo del Toro and Quentin Tarantino, among many others.  This year they hosted Eli Roth, Alejandro Jodorowsky (of "El Topo" fame), and also Terry Gilliam ("The Zero Theorem"). 

I took the wonderful opportunity to have the world premiere of my new feature "Cheatin'" at Sitges.

Unfortunately, they put me in a smaller venue, but as a result, I had a packed house that was very enthusiastic.  The Spanish are very big fans of my work because they understand my dark, transgressive humor.  There were large bursts of applause and laughter throughout the screening and a great ovation at the end.  I greeted the audience after and they all seemed to love the movie.

So now I feel a lot more confident in the future success of "Cheatin'".

If you love great fantasy films, wonderful gourmet food and beautiful beaches full of naked women, then I suggest you enter the Sitges Fantasy Film Festival.  I give Sitges an "A".

Bill Plympton

                               Bill with Angel Sala, Director of the Sitges Fantasy Festival.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill, are you coming to San Sebastian today?

    http://www.donostiakultura.com/terror/2013/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&ide=22459&dia=29&lang=en&v=117&Itemid=15


    ReplyDelete