Saturday, March 19, 2011

Box Office

Whenever I get an issue of Variety, I love to scan the box office reports to gauge how successful a film is and compare it to my estimates of the popularity of a film.

On the top this week is "Rango", which unfortunately I wasn't able to see because of my travels.

"Gnomeo and Juliet" is doing alright as I predicted, it's a relatively low-budget feature so at 90 million, they should show a profit.

Next down is "Tangled" at 200 million. That's not "Toy Story 3" numbers, yet it can be termed a success for a film I liked a lot.

Now it gets interesting –

"The Illusionist", which I felt would be a disappointment because of lack of story, has fulfilled my prediction. It hasn't even made 2 million, for a film that cost 30-40 million. It's too bad, 'cause I love Mr. Chomet's work and I want to support indie-animated features.

Then coming up close behind at 1.3 million is the Oscar Shorts, which includes my own film, "The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger"

So even though "Idiots and Angels" did not get picked up for a major release, I do have a short that's doing well at the box office.

And even "My Dog Tulip" by Paul and Sandra Fierlinger is showing good numbers for a limited release, at $225,000.

One day, I'll be able to get a decent release of one of my feature films and you'll get to see my film climb up the famous Variety box office reports.

1 comment:

  1. I also heard that "Mars Needs Moms" recieved the worst numbers, which sounds reassuring that there won't be a mo-cap produced "Yellow Submarine" adaption!

    ReplyDelete