Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Adventures in Plymptoons!



About two years ago, I started talking with Alexia Anastasio about doing a documentary about me, to be titled "Adventures in Plymptoons".

She began by traveling to Oregon to interview family and school friends, then she and her co-producer Kevin Sean Michaels went to LA and New York for interviews with friends and artists.

It's been a long process and a ton of work, and finally over the weekend I was able to view a rough-cut. It looks pretty amazing, and very funny. I haven’t been able to look at all the footage she's recorded, so I don’t really know what has landed on the proverbial cutting room floor, but it's a very fascinating look at the whacky world of Bill Plympton.

There are still some minor changes and improvements yet to be added, but so far I'm very happy with the results.

From the beginning, I told her I didn't want a fawning type of portrayal. I wanted something that showed my struggles and my weak points and certainly there are a few who are critical of me, which I think is essential for a good documentary. Hopefully the film will start appearing on the festival circuit this spring and summer and you'll be able to see for yourself. By the way, thanks to all the contributors – financial and artistic – who contributed to this wonderful venture.

1 comment:

  1. first a book, now a documentary... what's next? a sculpture?

    ReplyDelete