Friday, January 7, 2011

As you know, "Idiots and Angels" is eligible for an animated Oscar nomination, so it behooves me to check out the competition.

I've seen most of the animated features, except a few. One of them is "Summer Wars", which just got released this week. So, I trooped down to the IFC Center cinema ("Idiots and Angels" showed there), where it was screened to a full house. I was excited because the animation was done by Mad House, one of my favorite animation studios, and was directed by Mamoru Hosada, who did the very nice "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".


Well I needn't worry about competition from "Summer Wars". The animation style is very bland. Second string Miyazaki.

The story centers around an old family gathering in rural Japan and a massive viral attack on a major Internet site called Oz.

The script was so far-fetched that the audience laughed throughout. And at the key moment in the battle, the fight was resolved by some strange card game that I'm sure is popular in Japan, but makes no sense for a typical audience member.

I give "Summer Wars" a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment